Monday, December 3, 2012

World AIDS Day Half Marathon!

Hello all!
This past Saturday I ran the World AIDS Day half marathon in Kisumu! I ended up running the 13.4 miles (yeah...it was longer than 13.1 for some reason? haha) in 2 hours and 13 minutes!  I was really happy all of my hard work training paid off!

It was a pretty interesting run though.  First and foremost it started late (wooo Kenyan time wins again!)Then while breathing in smog and burning trash I was dodging matatus, motorcycles, potholes, goats, getting stared at and asked for money and drinking out of plastic bags.  That's right...instead of plastic cups the water stations put water in small plastic bags.  I probably looked like a fool trying to run and drink outta that haha! Also it was hilarious to see all of the mzungus decked out in their running gear and ipods while some of the Kenyans were running in flips flops, skirts, jeans and even completely barefoot! Not to mention the guy that got first place for the full marathon came in a couple of minutes behind me!! 26.2 miles in 2 hours and 15 mins, so amazing! 

Other than that things have been good around here.  Halloween on the coast was a lot of fun! I'm really excited to be heading back to the beach in about three weeks.  I also had a Men's Health and Sports Day in November that was extremely successful! I think we had anywhere from 300 to 400 boys and men there and my team won the volleyball match!  After the games Joy and I (with help from our Kenyan counterparts) gave a condom demonstration, talked about drugs and alcohol, gender based violence and STIs/STDs. I was really happy with how smoothly everything ran.

Joy had her jiggers outreach and that was successful too! Her and her organization treated about 150 people.  I had a little table set up and taught how to make the reusable sanitary towels and gave condom demos while people were waiting.  I'm hoping to have a small outreach come Jan or Feb to help the kids infected with jiggers at my school. I also want to get a water project going to get a rain water catchment for the school. I'll keep you all updated on that.

Well I guess that's all for now.  My damn computer is still in the shop and this sticky keyboard at the cyber cafe is driving me nuts haha.  I'll write after my Mt. Kenya climb!

Love always,
Breezie

1 comment: